Wednesday 11 September 2013

Review - Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Jerusha Abbott grew up in an orphanage but was sent to college by a mysterious benefactor she calls Daddy-Long-Legs. In college she falls in love with a young man who wants to marry her, but she refuses because she is an orphan. Finally, after Jerusha--now Judy--graduates, she asks to meet her benefactor.
(Image and descriptions from Goodreads.com)

Really enjoyable! I tried to read this book when I was in secondary school and it just didn’t click. But after watching the film (with Fred Astaire ;)), the anime and listening to the musical – lovely musical by the way – I decided to give it another shot.
I loved it.

Thumbs Up!
The whole book was wonderful fun and just what I needed at the time. Judy is refreshingly honest about what she thinks of things and this may seem silly but what I loved most was Judy being ‘friends’ with someone she isn’t really all that fond of. I don’t know about you but I could definitely relate to that.
The book covers a four year span of Judy’s life through college all told in letters and I didn’t once get bored or want the writing to change.

Thumbs Down!
The only thing I would have loved to have seen was a chapter from Jarvis’ side of things – mainly to see what was going on in his head when he made certain decision and what he thought about Judy’s reaction to them.

All in All!
A lovely story that as 187 pages is not all that long. Definitely worth a read.

“The trouble with college is that you are expected to know such a lot of things you’ve never learned”

Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!