Saturday 2 April 2011

Persephone the Phony



AS PERSEPHONE'S MOTHER ENCOURAGES HER to do, she often "goes along to get along" instead of doing what she really wants. But when she meets Mount Olympus Academy bad-boy Hades, she finally feels she has found someone with whom she can be herself. He's the first person who actually listens to her, and she finds herself liking him, despite the fact that the other goddessgirls think he's bad news. But if he makes her feel so special -- and so comfortable -- can he really be all that bad?

Authors Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams put a modern spin on classic myths with the Goddess Girls series. Follow the ins and outs of divine social life at Mount Olympus Academy, where the most privileged godboys and goddessgirls in the Greek pantheon hone their mythical skills.


I didn't expect this to be an amazing work of fiction when I bought it - though there is no denying that the front cover is so cute. But it was a nice little story and a great diversion from the 'serious'-ish fiction that I have been reading lately.

This book is geared towards younger readers, both in the content of the story and the writing style.

It was great fun to pick up all the little bit of Greek mythology that I know of and to know where the author got it from. The idea of the Gods and Goddesses being in a high school with Zeus as the headmaster was just great. I understand that this is aimed at a younger audience but I couldn't help but wish that there was a story that followed near enough this exact storyline but had older characters.

This is mean to be the story of Hades and Persephone - one of my favorite myths - and there is no denying that to pull of any version of the story there should be a slight bit of darkness to it but this was just so...fluffy. Which was good. Don't get me wrong but just not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!