Tuesday 26 July 2011

An Idiot Abroad by Karl Pilkington

Honestly this guy looks like such a whinger! I don't think there is one photo where he is actually smiling.
 A cult celebrity due to his role in The Ricky Gervais Show, the most-downloaded podcast ever, Karl Pilkington has been accused of being a comic creation, so unburdened is he by complex thought—but that is truly just him. The trio's newest project mines Karl massive provinciality: put simply, Karl is not big on traveling. Given the choice, he'll go on vacation to Devon or Wales or, if pushed, eat English food on a package tour of the Mediterranean. So what happened when he was convinced by Gervais and Merchant to go on an epic adventure to see the Seven Wonders of the World? Does travel truly broaden the mind? Find out in Karl Pilkington's hilarious travel diaries.
This book was funny! I have not laughed so much in I don’t know how long – and believe me, I needed a laugh over the past week or so.

Karl Pilkington is a pretty big whiner, he had something to complain about at every point of his journey – not even so much as a ‘I am so fortunate, I am doing something so other normal person would be able to afford’. He just complained. CONSTANTLY! Which, did get up my nose quite a bit but his funny observations about things made up for his lack of…happiness.

And on a side note, have any of you seen the Disney cartoon The Emperor’s New Groove? Yeah? Well remember the emperor? Emperor Cusco? Cusco is a place in Peru! Did you know that? ‘Cos I didn’t - totally random side not for you there :).

My one problem with the book is the ending. It kind of just STOPPED! Suddenly! Dead end! I was there, reading along, happily smiling like an idiot, turned the page and WHAM, no more book. So yeah…

Fun read though with more than a few laugh in it.

Stephen – Karl, what would Michael Palin do in this situation?

Karl – He’d probably do a voice-over. He probably wouldn’t be here now at this stage



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!