Monday 7 May 2012

Review - The Princess Dairies by Meg Cabot

The princess diaries
'You're not Mia Thermopolis any more, honey, ' Dad said. 'You're Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo. Princess of Genovia.'


A PRINCESS ME Yeah. Right.


One minute Mia's a totally normal Manhattan 14-year-old. Next minute she's heir to the throne of Genovia, being trailed by a trigger-happy bodyguard, taking princess lessons with her bonkers old grandmere, and having a makeover with someone called Paolo. Well, her dad can lecture her till he's royal-blue in the face, but no way is Mia going to turn herself into a style-queen. And they think she's moving to Genovia? Er, hello?


(DESCRIPTION FROM GOODREADS)


I really enjoyed this! Yeah, I bet you weren’t expecting that from the string of ‘whatever’ reviews there has been lately. And I really wasn’t expecting to either which made this all the more surprising. I tried to read The Princess Diaries books in my early teens and I will admit that I did not get much further than halfway through book 2. I think this was because Mia’s attitude bugged me. There was a lot of rubbishy stuff going on in my life at that time that sped up my maturity and having Mia blowing up about finding out she was a princess was NOT what I was wanting to be reading about.

But now it is a brilliant bit of fluff and I can sympathise with Mia’s predicaments in a way that I couldn’t when I was younger – Bizarre I know.

I love how Mia’s grandmother is the total opposite of how she is portrayed in the movie. I have an image of a Cruella DeVille type character in my head whenever I read about her Rolling on the floor laughing.

cruellagrandma
<<<<<<<<<<<Exhibit A


Exhibit B>>>>>>>>>>>











I remember going through a recycling and sea-life kick after I first read book 1 – thanks to Mia’s love of Greenpeace. But on the whole I remember her constant complaints about having no chest and no date/boyfriend a tad OTT and annoying.

But as I said, this time round I thoroughly enjoyed it and found that I could appreciate the humour more this time around. I am looking forward to Book 2.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

2 comments:

  1. I can absolutely understand about you not enjoying the books back then. Haven't read them myself yet, but I think there are books that I felt the same way about in the past.

    Someone else said I should read the series, and your review confirms that. Hmm.. Now, all I need to do is get my hands on a copy. XD

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what difference a few (well...okay maybe more than a few) years can make when it comes to changes in tolerance level isn't it? lol. The series os going to be good for breaks in between more 'heavier' books I think. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!