Monday 2 July 2012

Outlander Read-a-Long - Chapters 15-21






1. We FINALLY get to the scene we've all been waiting for. You know what I'm talking about--yay sexytimes! What were your impressions? Was it what you were expecting? Or did you want more? 

This is what I love about this book. How it turns your stereotypically expectations of a romance novel on its head. I loved how there was laughing and there was tenderness. I did love how even though Claire is the 'experienced' one it was Jamie who seemed to be doing what he could to make her comfortable. 
"Don't be afraid," he whispered into my hair. "There's the two of us now."
I wanted to cry at that point.

I know that some readers thus far have been bothered by the fact of Claire being married to Frank but still being involved with Jamie, despite the different time periods. Does their time as newlyweds change anyone's opinion of that? If not, now what are you thinking of the situation?  

The way that I look at it is that if she had a choice then Claire would have stayed single and remained faithful to Frank. I mean it isn’t like she has been chasing after Jamie or anything - she was trying to play matchmaker for crying out loud. But necessity has made it so that so safe she has had to marry another man. I admire her for than (even if I hate Frank’s guts). But then there is the whole, Frank isn’t born yet so should she feel like she is still bound by her marriage vows to him *shrug*. It is one of those screwy situations where you can’t do right for doing wrong.


What did you think about the "waterhorse" that Claire saw? Why do you think Peter was so spooked? And what do you think this means for Claire? 

Ok, I have to admit I was all. “Loch Ness monster…Riiiiiiiight” But if you look into why Diana Gabaldon actually put it into the book in the first place I find it hilarious. And besides if I can accept the time travel element then why not Nessie too.
Well this was when superstitions were pretty strong so living with that I can’t blame Peter for being a little freaked.
Claire is going to be in aaaaaaaaalot of trouble me thinks (I saw that one coming the first time I read this :))


If you were Claire and you were knowingly in the vicinity of the stones, would you have done the same thing she did?  
Hmmmm… I have this thing about doing what I am told and avoiding confrontation like the plague, but I think in this situation yes I would. And I think this gives her extra brownie points on the Frank front (see question 2)


What do you think about Captain Randall? How do you think the family resemblance between him and Frank affects Claire and particularly her relationship with Jamie? 

Creeps. Me. Out! BIG TIME.
Well I think his constant appearance is going to serve as a reminder of Frank for Claire and it will make it difficult for her to immerse herself fully into her new life.



Post Signature

1 comment:

  1. I agree that because Claire would have stayed single if possible, it isn't really adulterous (at least in my mind). I also love the consideration Jamie has toward her, and the fact that they can laugh at things.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!