Sunday 15 July 2012

Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells Bk #1) by Meg Cabot

HEATHER WELLS ROCKS!
Or, at least, she did. That was before she left the pop-idol life behind after she gained a dress size or two -- and lost a boyfriend, a recording contract, and her life savings (when Mom took the money and ran off to Argentina). Now that the glamour and glory days of endless mall appearances are in the past, Heather's perfectly happy with her new size 12 shape (the average for the American woman!) and her new job as an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges. That is, until the dead body of a female student from Heather's residence hall is discovered at the bottom of an elevator shaft.
The cops and the college president are ready to chalk the death off as an accident, the result of reckless youthful mischief. But Heather knowsteenage girls . . . and girls do not elevator surf. Yet no one wants to listen -- not the police, her colleagues, or the P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives -- even when more students start turning up dead in equally ordinary and subtly sinister ways. So Heather makes the decision to take on yet another new career: as spunky girl detective!
But her new job comes with few benefits, no cheering crowds, and lots of liabilities, some of them potentially fatal. And nothing ticks off a killer more than a portly ex-pop star who's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong . . .

(Image and description from Goodreads)


*there will be some spoilers in this post - well, more than I usually mention anyway as I will be indulging myself in a mini-rant ;)*


This was a fun read, the pages flew by in true Meg Cabot style which is always a nice fluffy, gift wrapped bonus for a book.

Having a heroine who is not a stick insect (or on a track team or anything else) was great and who also has proper issues going on her life. Her mother had legged it with all of her money, her father is in prison and she had been dumped by her fiance - after finding him in a situation with his now fiance.

I loved Heather. She was sure of herself (even when she wasn't) and doing her best to make a life for herself. She also told her ex where to do when he made an appearance. Now THAT I loved. That is until this one time!

He showed up and like that *insert finger snap here* they are going at it on the hallway floor. At that point I am afraid my opinion of Heather crashed and burned. She said herself that in that moment she had become the 'other woman' and she didn't like it. Yeah well, I agree Mrs - not to mention it wasn't even your house!!!! anyone could have came in.

Yeah, after that moment I didn't quite liker her as much - even though this is only proving that out heroine is not perfect and is flawed, yadedadeda. Still went off her.

I still enjoyed the book though and like all of Meg Cabot's work it is filled to the gills with some great 1 liners and as I have mentioned it was a fun and fast paced read.

Reading about an ex-pop-star turned dorm director who tries to do some crime solving on the side make for some good fun :)


Post Signature

5 comments:

  1. I love detective stories. This is the first time that I heard Meg Cabot had written a detective and suspense story. I am sure this book is great and so as her. She is really a talented writer. I think I am going to enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg Cabot is one of my favorites ) I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read these ones but I love Meg Cabot. Too bad the MC had that moment of weakness. No ones perfect but I like to pretend book characters are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alex! Great post! Thanks for participating in Meg-A Readers!
    This is my absolute favorite series by Meg! I felt myself being able to relate so much to Heather, it was so much fun reading this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this book on my TBR shelf forever - years now. I keep meaning to get to it and see promising reviews like yours. I really need to read it soon, argh! There's so many TBR books it can be overwhelming ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!