Sunday 1 July 2012

Outlander Read-a-Long - Chapters 8-14






1. Claire has been given the task of healer at the castle. She must adapt her nursing skills for the time and learn what herbs and etc will cure each particular ailment that is presented to her. Do you have any home remedies that were passed down to you (cure for a cold, bee sting or what have you)?  

There is only one thing that I can think of and that is warm milk and pepper for period pains. I know it doesn’t sound very nice but I think it tastes pretty yummy. :) As it is usually drank around the same time as taking pain killers I have yet to figure out if it works or not lol.


2. What do you think would be the biggest challenge of living in the past? (Clothing, hygiene, food, etiquette or etc.)

I think I would have to go with lack of electricity. We have all became so dependent on it that a simple power cut is enough to throw us for a loop. And from no electricity comes everything else. We are used to having it to cook our food, to heat and light our homes and to wash our clothes. And suddenly – after getting thrown back in time we would have to learn all of these skills again.


3. Do you have a favorite character, scene or quote so far? If so, share it with us.
‘Does it bother you that I’m not a virgin?’ He hesitated a moment before answering.
‘Well, no,’ he said slowly, ‘so long as it doesna bother you that I am.’ He grinned at my drop-jawed expression, and backed towards the door.
‘Reckon one of us should know what they’re doing,’ he said. The door closed softly behind him; clearly the courtship was over.
(Now there is confidence for you ;)


And my favourite scene is when Claire is getting totally sloshed after signing the paper. And for some reason I find the bit with the fly funny… Yeah, I don’t know why.


4. What did you think about the addition of the blood bond in the wedding ceremony? Is this something you would do with the one you love?
Ready for a very quick and cheerful answer to this?
Kind of freaked me out.
And no.
Moving on…


5. Are you reading along closely with the scheduled chapters or are you ahead or behind? 
As of now (18:39 July 1st 2012) I have just caught up with the questions and I am behind with the reading. (Can’t win them all ;)) I am going to be doing some crazy catching up tonight :)

Link to my (late) post for chapters 1-7


Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!