Thursday 8 January 2015

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby - Cover
(Book cover and synopsis from goodreads.com)
Generally considered to be F. Scott Fitzgerald's finest novel, The Great Gatsby is a consummate summary of the 'roaring twenties' and a devastating exposé of the shallowness of the 'Jazz Age'. Through the narration of Nick Carraway, the reader is taken into the superficially glittering world of the mansions which lined the Long Island shore in the 1920's, to encounter Nick's cousin Daisy, her brash but wealthy husband Tom Buchanan, Jay Gatsby and the dark mystery which surrounds him.

The Great Gatsby is an undisputed classic of American literature from the period following the First World War, and is one of the great novels of the twentieth century.


First Thoughts
Yay! *happy dance* I’ve finally read it. GO ME!

Second Thoughts
Well, there’s four hours of my life I’m never going to get back.

I just couldn’t  I did.

Ah. I can’t get my thoughts out properly.

OK. Here goes.

The majo 

Nope, not happening.

Right, what I will say is that I did give this book three stars so obviously I didn’t completely hate it.

I really didn’t like most of the characters – the most useless bunch of space wasters (in my humble opinion) I have ever read about. But it did seem to go by quickly despite this and I did like how all the little pieces came together to end in various tragedies.  

Right, I am leaving it there. I can feel the ‘ifs-buts-you-know-what-I-mean’s bubbling.

All in All

I am glad I have finally read this classic. I don’t really know what I was expecting,  but I am pretty sure that what I got wasn’t it and I am still trying to figure out if that was a good thing or not. 


Post Signature

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year from central Canada, Alex! You'd enjoy my trio: "Ethereal", "Gentle Spectrums", "My Kind Of Mystery". I give away prizes and as a contrast to tricky challenges, they're all-encompassing. Any mystery or colours you're already doing, ALL fit my latter two. If you read the mystical types too (very broad), that is music to my ears. :) My second year reprises February 1. Sincerely,Carolyn. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-challenges-2015/

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!