Tuesday 29 January 2013

Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin #1)

Courtney's parents have dragged her out to a high-to-do suburb to live with her creepy Great Uncle Aloysius in his spooky old house. She's not only the new kid in school, but she also discovers strange things lurking under her bed.
Courtney was a practical girl and it began to occur to her that perhaps she was missing something about the world. Something important.
After all. What was more likely? That the world was filled with complete doofuses?
Or that there might be something wrong with her?
This was a wonderfully dark and atmospheric introduction to the series.

Courtney, when you get down to it isn't really a nice person and yet I couldn't help but fall in love with her and her dark way of seeing things (she kind of reminded me of Wednesday from The Addams Family).

The supporting characters are certainly colourful (literally - the art is gorgeous) from the humans to the various supernatural beings that litter the book. 

This graphic novel would appeal to those who like the Series of Unfortunate Events books or even The Spiderwick Chronicles (especially the movie) as there is definitely that darkness running through it - I mean, a kid gets eaten, that is the level of dark.  

Wonderful art work and main character who gripped me and made me want to follow her through the story!

*I received this book in e-book form from NetGalley*


Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!