Tuesday 22 January 2013

Light in the Dark by Donna Scholefield



It began with an unfortunate meeting, a forced abduction and six seeds from a pomegranate. What followed was a forced marriage, the growth of an innocent maiden into a powerful goddess and a passion which would eclipse even death itself. This is the story of Hades and Persephone, whom the Fates and the gods played games with, but who ultimately won the greatest prize either could have hoped for; freedom and love.
(Image from Goodreads - Description from Amzazon)

This is just going to be a quick mention of this book. 

The myth of Hades and Persephone is my all time favourite Greek myth, a few come close but no cigar.

This is not my most favourite of all the adaptations and tale that I have read so far but it is pretty good. (I read this as a eBook (I have no idea if it is available as a physical book or not) and the formatting was pretty wonky - and that did jar be from the narrative sometimes. I would be halfway through a paragraph and suddenly I would get the line that is supposed to be the footnote to the page (Author name, book title etc) it was pretty annoying) 

This re-telling of the story is a more true account of how the myth runs...if that makes sense since it is a myth. 

In other words, if you are looking for a happy, fluffy tale of love and devotion you ain't going to get it with this book. Don't get me wrong, the love that they feel for each other comes across beautifully but there are plenty of obstacles, mistakes and heartbreak for both Hades and Persephone to overcome. 



Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!