Thursday 10 January 2013

Masques (Sianim Bk #1) by Patricia Briggs


After an upbringing of proper behavior and oppressive expectations, Aralorn fled her noble birthright for a life of adventure as a mercenary spy. 
Her latest mission involves spying on the increasingly powerful sorcerer Geoffrey ae'Magi. 
But in a war against an enemy armed with the powers of illusion, how do you know who the true enemy is-or where he will strike next?

(Image and Description from Goodreads)

I listened to this in audiobook form and I was piece-of-paperless for pretty much all of it so I didn't manage to scribble down random thoughts as I listened as I normally get to do - bear with me guys as I hash my way though this:)

Observation #1 - This version is a re-write from the original that was published in the early 90s, now, I haven't read the original - I think it would be pretty interesting to compare them - but there is an introduction from Patricia Briggs before the novel begins. 

I for one would not have noticed that this was her first novel if it had not been pointed out to me. Maybe if I had more experience with her novels (e.g. Mercedes Thompson Series and Alpha and Omega) it would have been glaringly obvious to me but as it stood. Nope. But then again the argument could be made that if I had read the un-re-written version I wouldn't have got past the first chapter *shrug* who knows. 

Observation #2 - I liked it! I did. It reminded me a little of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. I mean a little deeper and darker without the lightness but there was definitely something there that clicked. 

Observation #3 - I don't know if this is because it is part of a series but it seemed to just be getting started and then BANG end of story. I felt a little disappointed by this. Although there was all this drama going on I just couldn't get that sense of urgency I feel I should have had from it. The suspense (if you can call it that) just kind of plateaued out. 

Hmm... ok I am rethinking the first-book comment, maybe there are some tell tale signs this was a first novel after all...

Soooo all in all yes, I enjoyed this book but it was definitely lacking in places. :)


Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!