Wednesday 23 January 2013

Girl vs Superstar (Yours Truly, Lucy B. Parker #1) by Robin Palmer


When Lucy B. Parker gets friend-dumped right before school starts, she figures things can't get much worse. But then her mom announces that she's dating Laurel Moses's dad. THE Laurel Moses ? the TV-movie-music star whose face is on the cover of every magazine. Suddenly, Lucy's life is turned sideways! Up until now, her main goal has been to just get through the day without totally embarrassing herself. And now she's going to be the less-pretty, less-talented stepsister of the most famous girl in the world!
OR
Sixth grade is hard enough for Lucy B. Parker, but it gets so much worse when her mom announces that she's going to marry Laurel Moses's dad. Yes, that Laurel Moses--the TV-movie-music star who makes Hannah Montana look like some random kid from the sticks. Suddenly, Lucy's life is turned upside down and sideways. All Lucy wants to do is get through the day without totally embarrassing herself too much, but that's hard to do when you're the less-pretty, less-talented not-quite sister of a mega superstar. 
(Image and Descriptions from Goodreads)


So, around September last year I decided to broaden my reading horizons and read more YA...girly stuff (I think there might have been a pod next to my bed when I made this crazy choice). Why? Well, because I never read this stuff when I was in the age bracket so I thought I would give it my best shot now. 

**Crickets and tumble weed**

So I was pleasantly surprised by this book.  I mean, sure, there was plenty of OTT-ness on Lucy's part but not to the crazy extent that I have read in some books and her mother was one of the less STUPID, IDIOTIC parents that I have read so that got the book some major bonus points in books. 

Although while we are on the subject of mother what the heck is it with al these parents keeping their dating secret from their children and then just dumping the information on them. I understand that there are things that a parent would like to keep to themselves but come on, just suddenly pulling a several months old relationship out of no-where and planting it in-front of your child is not fair!

One of the things that I really enjoyed was watching Lucy's feelings towards Laurel change. It was so realistic and kind of funny how I could tell she was really not wanting to like this girl but was finding it more difficult to hate her the more she go to know her.

This is a good read (and part of a series, which is always a bonus) and I think it would appeal highly to young girls up to around 13 years old.

                                                                                                         

Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!