Wednesday 2 January 2013

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie


Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.
(Description from Goodreads)

I wish I could say loads of educated stuff about this book but unfortunately I can't - oh, I have loads of stuff floating around in my mind, it's just the articulation thing that I have an issue with.

I have never been on a reservation and other than how they are portrayed on TV (John Wayne all the way!) I have no idea what they were like or are like today. So I do not know if American readers have a bit more of an insight when it comes to that side of the story? (answers on a postcard...or in the comments would be just fine)

As it stands though I really enjoyed this books. I first heard about it over a YouTube channel Beauty Isn't Skin Deep (really good channel) and finally after 2 years I got around to reading it and I am glad to report that it wasn't a let down.

Albert (AKA Junior) was a wonderful down to earth narrator without sounding like an adult in child's clothing. He kept me glued to the story and made me want to find out more. *puts on big girl hat for a second* This was such a compelling read! *takes of big girl hat - phew that was stressful ;)*

The author didn't shy away from the use of bad language but at the same time it wasn't excessive. Being inside a fourteen year old boys head was definitely interesting - the fact that I couldn't get enough of this book when I usual avoid male narrators like the plague really shows what a pleasant surprise this book was. 

A heartbreaking (at times) and joyful read, full of a mood ring of emotions.

I would highly recommend this book.

Post Signature

1 comment:

  1. I seem to be growing fonder and fonder of the coming of age stories of young men. This one sounds like another one that I could get into and really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. I would love to see what you think about my posts so feel free to leave a little comment.


Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading everyone!